1. Depending on what Chemex you have, you may need to fold the filter before you brew. This is done in three steps. The first – fold the filter in half like so…
2. Fold the smaller semi-circular piece back on top of the larger semi-circular piece
3. Fold the whole thing in half again – straight edge to straight edge
4. Place the filter in the Chemex, with the three folds against the Chemex spout – like so…
5. Weigh out 15 grams of delicious coffee
6. Grind the coffee to a coarse grind – just a little finer than you would for a French Press
7. Pre wet the Chemex filter with hot water – this also acts to heat up the Chemex itself. Remember to discard this water before you start to brew.
8. Pour in the ground coffee, trying to make the bed as level as possible
9. Place the Chemex on a scale and zero it. Gently pour in 30 grams of water – try to wet all the grounds
10. Fresh coffee will always have a lovely looking ‘bloom’ – as the water starts to extract the delicious flavours & releasing CO2
11. Once the level of coffee starts to drop down ever so slightly, top up the hot water – this time to 60 grams with gentle, circular pours
12. Again, when the level starts to decrease top up the Chemex with hot water – this time up to 120 grams.
13. Finish off with a final pour to 250 grams, maintaining a gentle, steady and circular pour. After you have done this pour, stir the Chemex three times in a circular motion (in the same direction you were pouring) to keep the coffee grounds agitated for a more even extraction of flavour
14. Remove the filter and pour. Enjoy your crisp, clean cup of Chemex brewed coffee.